Matter of the Moment
With the average full-time employee working 36 hours a week, it’s no shock that work life counts for a vast amount of an individual's general happiness. Research has shown that job-related stress is one of the main causes of mental and physical health in the UK. Yikes!
So how do you tackle that? First of all, workplace wellbeing is at the forefront of many company agendas as more businesses are seeing the direct link between employee wellbeing and performance. Maintaining a solid workplace wellbeing strategy will essentially contribute towards the crucial success of your company culture.
“Good health IS good business.”
– Paul Drechsler, Chairman/CEO, Wates Group Limited
What you’ll need to do to improve your workplace wellbeing:
A good staffing strategy: Recognise how you can combat staff stress and issues in your company and prioritise the focus.
- Primary prevention programmes - encourage your staff to frequently engage in healthy behaviours to boost good health and let them know you care
- Meaning and purpose - when employees feel their work has meaning and purpose, they are more likely to be satisfied within their role, be engaged and stay loyal to the company.
- Appreciation and value - rewards and recognition can do wonders for individual self-esteem. Raise employee confidence by recognising their achievements and value to the company.
- Autonomy and variety - mix things up! Keep the workplace fresh with new tasks even if the job itself can be mundane, introducing work or non-work related wellbeing initiatives can keep things interesting.
- Improve the focus on mental wellbeing - mental health is not always a comfortable topic to share with others openly so it's important to show how much you care and to normalise the conversation.
What you’re going to gain:
- Ramped up productivity - Happy employees are more productive. Fact.
- Reduced sick leave and absenteeism - employees that feel their wellbeing needs are being me are less likely to take as much sick leave
- Resilience, better engagement and better connections - Healthy relationships between colleagues are incredibly important and contribute significantly to better engagement in the workplace.
- Better staff retention - creating loyalty and security for your staff makes them less likely to look for a job elsewhere.
- A bulletproof reputation - build your reputation as a desirable place to work as a company who cares about the health and wellbeing of their people. Word gets around fast.
- An overall happier workforce - You’ve heard the phrase ‘happy wife, happy life’? Well in this case it’s ‘Happy employee, happy company!’
“We are embedding health and well-being at the heart of our business strategy because our people are our greatest asset, and we recognize that a healthy, happy and committed workforce is vital to our business success.”
- Alex Gourlay, MD, Boots UK
Now you have your guidelines, how can FigFlex support you?
At FigFlex Offices, we create workplaces that focus on collaboration, social interaction and business adaptability. We understand the value of providing suitable office spaces to accommodate the ever-evolving journey of human and business needs.
We provide various workspace options to help connectivity with colleagues via breakout areas, meeting rooms and co-working hubs. Not only will you and your team have an inspiring, open-plan office space to enjoy each day, but you will also be joining a network of like-minded individuals with our Business Support Network. We encourage community connections across our client network to help inspire your workforce, enhance company culture and build relationships.
Workplace wellbeing is crucial for the success of your company and is therefore at the heart of all FigFlex spaces. We will help you ensure your team is content, satisfied and happy!
“Improving the health and well-being of our employees…offers a ‘win-win’ all around.”
– Steve Flanagan, Chief Executive, The Fremantle Trust
Category: Community & Culture